Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chapter 27- Your Everything

Playlist:Your Everything-Keith Urban, She's Everything-Brad Paisley, Bless the Broken Road-Rascal Flatts (I like the version that is on the Hannah Montana Soundtrack~it's acoustic), Home-Daughtry, When I Look At You-Miley Cyrus, When You Say You Love Me-Josh Groban

Chapter 27- Your Everything

I wanna be the wind that fills your sails and be the hand that lifts your veil;

Be the moon that moves your tides, the sun coming up in your eyes;

Be the wheel that never rusts and be the spark that lights you up;

All that you've been dreaming of and more, so much more;

I wanna be your everything.

When you wake up, I'll be the first thing that you see;

And when it gets dark you can reach out to me;

I'll cherish your words and I'll finish your thoughts;

I'll be your compass baby when you get lost.

I wanna be the wind that fills your sails and be the hand that lifts your veil;

Be the moon that moves your tides, the sun coming up in your eyes;

Be the wheel that never rusts and be the spark that lights you up;

All that you've been dreaming of and more, so much more;

I wanna be your everything.

I'll be the wheel that never rusts, the spark that lights you up;

All that you've been dreaming of and more, so much more;

I wanna be your everything, I wanna be your everything, I wanna be your everything.

Keith Urban-Your Everything


Edward's POV

I had finally drug my ass through the last two weeks and I was headed home to see Bella this afternoon. I had a few errands to run and then I was headed back to Forks. Back to Bella.

We had talked every day, if not several times per day, while I was gone. I loved the talking; it allowed us to get to know each other more intimately. I wanted to know everything about her, from the mundane to the deepest secrets. And for the first time in my life I had found someone that I wanted to share these things with. For so long I felt like I had to keep parts of myself closed off, not sharing them with anyone. That wasn't the case any longer.

Bella and I talked about my parents and the night I lost them. I shared with her the helplessness and loneliness that I felt. I shared the struggles of learning to care for my new family, and how to balance those feelings without losing what I had with my parents. I wanted Bella to know them and love them like I did. It was important to me that she loved them, even without knowing them.

I grabbed my keys and threw my bag over my shoulder. I scanned the room making sure I hadn't forgotten anything, and left. I mentally clicked off my list of things to do before I left Seattle, there was no way I wanted to make a mistake and not finish everything so I could rush home to her.

Talk with James about the apartment

Speak to the Chief about reporting to Forks General

Go and get Bella's gift

Drive like a bat out of hell to get home to Bella

List was short and sweet, not so much that the tasks would drive me out of my mind. First things first, head to the hospital. That way I could take care of James and the Chief at the same time.

I stopped at the nurse's station and asked them to page James for me. I didn't want to waste time looking for him on my own. He walked around the corner, head buried deep in a chart. James and I had missed seeing each other the past two weeks while I was here. He was in Oncology while I was doing the rotation for Neurology. Between the surgeries and his Chemo patients, we were both too busy to hang out.

"Dude, what's up? I thought I missed you, I heard you were heading home today." He reached his hand out to bump mine.

"I am, but we need to talk before I go. I uh, well I'm not going to be taking the room after all. I'm heading back to Forks Gen to finish most of my rotations. I'm really sorry; I know that you need the help with money so I will gladly pay a few months to help out until you can find someone else to take my spot." I scratched the back of my neck. I hated leaving James in a lurch like this; he was so good to offer me the room.

"I guess I can't blame you for turning down the room, man what I would give to head home and do my rotations there. That's cool though, Laurent had a guy ask him yesterday about the room. I will have him call him and see if he is still interested. So don't sweat it, you stop by and see me when you get back in town here, okay?" He face showed no signs of distress or anger that I was backing out on him. I thought that given the chance we could really become good friends. I would make a point to look him up and hang with him the next time I was back in Seattle.

"Will do, thanks for the offer. I really appreciate you helping me out. Beers on me next time I'm in town." I motioned between him and me and then threw my fist out for his customary fist bump. He returned the bump and I turned to go.

"Got to go and see the Chief, tell Laurent I'll see him later for me."

"Sure thing; take care Cullen."

I trotted off down the hall and found the Chief looking over the surgery boards. I stood back and gave him his time to work out the schedule for all of the surgeries he had to get organized. I noted his concentration he gave to the list and the careful way he marked down the surgeries and doctors that were to perform them. The love for his job showed in his devotion to this small task. I was glad for the chance to work with him and learn from him, even if it was a short time.

I shifted my weight and caught his attention.

"Edward, I am so sorry I didn't know you were there. Have you been waiting long?" His polite apology showed me even more of his character.

"I was waiting for you to finish, I know how important it is to get this right," I motioned towards the surgery board as I said this. "Take your time, I'm good." I nodded.

He turned back with a smile on his face and quickly applied the few remaining names to the board. Then he stood back and looked it over one more time. Nodding his satisfaction, he turned back to me and we began to walk down the hall together.

"So, you're off to Forks again." I nodded at him. "Does it worry you that you will miss out on things in a smaller hospital? Miss the large scale traumas that you would see here for example?"

"No sir. Carlisle moved to Forks about 15 years ago. He has worked in big trauma hospitals before and Esme worried that he would get bored. She would ask him every night at dinner how his day was, and if he missed the big city. He always responded the same way. He would say 'Esme, people get hurt here just like they do in the big city. I see just as much blood, guts and trauma now as I did then. Only now, I know the names and families of the people that come in here hurt. It makes saving them that much more special when I know them and see them later in the bank or grocery store. I can keep up with their lives and know that I truly did make a difference.' That's what I want, Chief, I want to know the people that I work on, to have that extra push to save them. I don't regret this." I met his eyes and allowed him to search my soul to find any hidden regret in there. He wouldn't find it in there at all, I truly didn't regret going back home to Forks at all.

He clapped me on the back and led us back toward his office. We sat down at his desk, he on one side and me on the other. He explained the paperwork, the schedule and how often I would have to report back to him. I was basically at Carlisle's mercy. Chief would make several trips out to Forks to check on me and I would have to come back a few times to rotate through the divisions that Forks General didn't offer me. My heart clinched at the thought of driving away from Forks again, I would worry about that when the time came. Hopefully it would be with Bella at my side. Once everything was signed, and I shook the Chief's hand, I left Seattle Memorial. My bags were in the car and I had checked out of the hotel, so I simply had to buy Bella's gift. That was the last task standing between me and home.

I drove until I found the store I was looking for, parked and paid the meter for two hours. I opened the door and was greeted right away.

"Good afternoon, sir, welcome to Banks Jewelry. What may I help you find today?" The sales associate was a very attractive girl. She had brown hair and pretty green eyes. All I kept thinking was her hair was the wrong shade of brown and her eyes lacked the beautiful specks of gold that Bella's had. I officially knew that I was gut hooked. She was the only thought in my head, ever.

"Thank you, I need to look at some engagement rings, please. Something unique, my Bella deserves something out of the ordinary." I smiled just knowing how much I wanted this, the feel of that little box in my pocket, waiting for the right time to ask her. I wasn't nervous at all, I was ready. To hell with the time factor, when it was right it was right.

"My name is Kate and it would be my pleasure."

"Edward," I replied and followed her as she began to walk away.

I followed her to the display against the far wall. It took up the entire back half of the store. I was glad that I came here, they certainly had plenty to choose from. Kate was talking about the different aspects of a diamond and how to choose the right one.

"What price range are we asking about today?" She asked gently, trying not to offend me.

"I haven't really thought about it, will this help?" I slid the black American Express card out of my wallet and her eyes lit up.

"Well, let's move down here, I have a few that I think you will like."

She showed me several that were all wrong, they were too modern and too ordinary. I knew from listening to Alice, Rosalie and Esme talk all through the years. I knew enough to talk my way around and get close to what I was looking for.

"Kate, I'm looking for something with a slight antique style to it. I don't want it too big because she's not that kind of a girl, but I want it big enough to let her know she is worth it to me. I would prefer a cushion cut stone, maybe with some side stones. I like white gold or platinum better, no yellow gold. Bella's skin is like porcelain and she needs the silver tones to accentuate it. What do you have like that?" I ran my hand through my hair, perhaps I should have waited until I could bring Alice or Rosalie with me.

Kate held up her finger and strode off towards a door at the back of the store. A few minutes later she emerged with a tray of rings. All were silver toned, so she got at least part of my request right. I started in the top left hand corner and picked each one up. The entire top row was all round stones, so I was able to put them back down rather quickly. I glanced down and noticed a ring about middle of the tray. I skipped right to it. My mouth fell open and I lost all thought. It was perfect. The ring was everything that I wanted for Bella. I reached a shaky hand towards it. Kate's eyes lit up.

"Good choice. That ring is beautiful." She launched into her sales woman speech, quoting the qualities of the ring that I should fall in love with. Little did she know that I had already fallen in love with it. "The enormous 2.0 certified Princess cut center diamond is a breathtaking F-G color grade and sparkling, eye clean VS2-SI1 clarity grade that shines and shimmers in its glamorously unique setting. This is a 14kt white gold, hand crafted setting channel set with 16 princess cut G/H - VS2/SI1 diamonds surrounding the center diamond, 2 trapezoid diamonds flanking and the round diamonds encrusting the lower band just adding the finishing touch to this engagement ring work of art. The weight of the side stones is 1.07 carats. The total weight of this ring is 3.07 carats. Give her this ring and she's sure to say YES!"

I held the ring in my hand and just stared at it. I turned it over in my hands looking at it from all sides. It had accents and small diamonds on the front and back side of the center mount. The band was the perfect width, not too large for Bella's small delicate hands. I could close my eyes and easily picture Bella wearing this ring. It only had one test to pass, the family test. I held up my phone and snapped three pictures of it. I inserted them into a text and sent it to Alice, Rosalie and Esme.

"Kate, can you give me a minute here, please." She nodded and removed the tray of rings in front of me. She left me holding the ring in my hand, sitting on the stool leaning against the counter, lost in the amazing feeling of holding Bella's ring.

My phone rang and I answered it without thought. Alice was screaming in my ear so loud that I have to pull the phone away from my ear.

"Alice, you have to quit yelling or I can't talk to you. I need you rational right now, please. I can't think straight and I need you to make sure that I'm not making a mistake here." I gulped the bubble of emotion back down my throat and tried to speak again.

Alice immediately shut up and I heard Rosalie fighting for the phone.

"Edward is that what I think that is?" Rosalie asked a little stunned.

"If you're thinking that it is Bella's engagement ring, then yes, that is what you think that is. Do you think she will like it? I know she's going to say that it's too much but I really don't think that it is. I want to see her wearing it, Rose, I really do."

"Hold on Edward, Alice wants me to put us on speaker phone so she can hear as well."

"Tell her that she can't yell anymore, not a peep or I will hang up and not tell either of you anything I swear it."

"I promise, Edward." Alice's tiny little girl voice almost whispered back to me via speaker phone.

"Okay now spill, what the hell brought this on?" Rosalie demanded.

"I asked Bella about our future before I left for Seattle, and over the last two weeks we have talked about it, a lot. I felt like it was the right time, besides where in Forks can I get a ring like this? Wait, I'm getting another call, hold on." I glanced at the display and realized that it was Esme. I answered it and found her sobbing on the line.

"Esme, are you alright? Did I upset you?"

"Don't be crazy, I love it. I am so happy that you are buying Bella a ring. For years Edward I have wanted you two to end up together, to bring peace and happiness to each other. A mother knows these things, and I just knew that you both were soul mates. I never doubted it for a second. Does she know?"

"No! She has no idea. I have to plan the perfect proposal, I just wanted to shop for it here in Seattle, I knew the selection would be so much better than in Forks. Do you like it?" I had so many emotions running through me; I wasn't sure what I would do if they didn't like it. I was totally in love with it and wanted it.

"It is perfect for Bella. You know her so well. You know she will say it's too much, right?" I chuckled.

"I know, I told Alice and Rosalie the same thing. Oh, Esme, Alice and Rosalie are on the other line. I guess I had better get back to them. I will call you on the way back to Forks; you can talk to me and keep me company during the ride."

"Sounds good, I love you Edward. You make me so proud, really proud." Esme's voice broke several times during her sentence, it caused the same reaction in me. I knew Esme was proud to be a mother to all of us and loved us just as much as if she had carried each of us in her body.

"I love you too, mom." I rarely called her that and I think it made the times more special when I did.

"Bye" she whispered, and disconnected the line.

My phone beeped to signal the call holding with Rosalie and Alice. I connected with them again.

"Sorry, that was Esme. I had to let her do her thing, you know," I said sheepishly.

"We all get outranked by Esme, no worries. So, what did she say?"

"She said it was perfect and that she always knew that Bella and I were destined to be together. She cried and told me she loved me. I told her I loved her as well and called her mom." Alice and Rosalie gasped together. They both knew how seldom I used that word.

"Oh Edward, now I'm crying," Alice cried.

"Do you both really like it? Will Bella like it?" I was giddy, and it already was killing me to not be able to ask her. I wonder if I could show up and just drop down on one knee and ask her in her office. I negated that idea as soon as it formed. I knew it would kill me to wait but I had to do this right for her. She needed to see how much I loved her. How much I needed her. How much I couldn't live without her. She had become my whole life.

"She will love it." They both said in unison, causing me to chuckle just a little at their excitement. I saw Kate glance back over towards me and I nodded at her.

"I have to go, girls, I am going to pay for this and head home. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it."

"Any time, Edward, that's what we're here for." The sentiment was the same one I had heard thousands of times before, but the voice was unusual. I usually heard it from Alice, Emmett or even Jasper, very rarely from Rosalie. That gave the words more weight. Everyone who knew her knew she wasn't really the cold hearted bitch that she was made out to be. She just didn't show her emotions as freely or as easily as the rest of us. But when she did, you knew that it was important to her. So by her showing it now, when I am about to make one of the biggest decisions of my life, it really meant a lot to me.

I hung up just as Kate arrived back in front of me.

"Have you made a decision, sir?"

"I have, I will take it and I need a band to go with it. What would you suggest?"

"Excellent choice, sir. I think an eternity band would work well with this setting. I have an eternity band that has the same stones as the band on this ring. I think it would match well, and look beautiful. Would you like to see it?" I nodded my head in acceptance of her suggestion. She slid Bella's ring on her pinkie finger and we moved farther down the display case.

Kate pulled out a band that had diamonds around the entire circle. I guess that is what she meant by eternity band. She slid the engagement ring off of her hand and held her hand out for me to hand back the eternity band. She slid them both on side by side on a mannequin hand. The effect of them together was even better than before. They would be stunning on Bella.

"Edward, I do believe that you have exquisite taste, these two together are breathtaking."

"Just like my Bella. I will take them both." I dropped my card again for her and was never happier about the money that my parents had left me. I never thought about it much, I used it when I needed and moved on. But just this once I wanted to say a small prayer of thanks that they had the intelligence to take care of me long after they were gone. To provide me the small pleasures in life, such as picking out a beautiful ring for the love of my life without worrying about the cost. Simply buying her what she deserved.

My mind began to try to formulate a plan on how to ask her to marry me. It was too much to take in right now. I decided to get back home to her, relax a little and then worry about the plan later.

Kate returned with my credit card slip, and my purchases. I signed my name with confidence, and then tucked the receipt and card back into my wallet.

"Both rings are guaranteed for life, and come with an appraisal already completed. Simply forward the appraisal to the insurance company and they can insure them properly for you. We will be happy to inspect and clean these for you at any time and of course feel free to bring them back if they were to ever need any work done to them. We have three certified jewelers on staff that can do all repairs on site. So, we can take care of anything you will ever need in the future." She smiled and extended the bag to me. I took it as she offered her hand to me. "Congratulations Edward. Your Bella is a lucky woman to have a man that is so in love with her. I wish you both all of the happiness and a long life together." I shook her hand and made a bee line for the door. I wanted to be on the road to Bella now.

I returned to my car to see five minutes left on the meter. I opened the door, dropped into the seat and eased the car into traffic.

The rings were burning a hole in my right pocket and the phone was burning a hole in my left. I knew the phone was the safer option, so I called Bella to let her know that I was on my way home.

It rang exactly a half a ring when she answered.

Bella's pov

"Hello," I whispered breathlessly.

"Bella are you okay?" Edward's voice sounded like pure, sweet silk.

"I'm fine, just a little anxious waiting on you to call me. I can't wait to see you."

"You should only have about two hours and about thirty minutes until I hit the Forks City limits sign. Can you duck out of work early? I can't wait to see you, please tell me that you can." He seemed intense, and anxious for some reason. I wanted him in my arms, and then I would ask him what was wrong. Maybe he was as worked up about his absence as I was. I hoped he was. I know it sounds kind of wrong to hope that he was sad or depressed about it, but I am a human and I wanted him to miss me as much as I missed him.

"Yeah, Charlotte has already told me to take off as soon as you got close. I guess she knew that I would be of no use to her if you were back here in Forks. I don't know what gave her that impression." I teased lightly, trying to change his mood.

"I have no idea, but it's a good thought. You finish things up there and I will call you just before I hit Port Angeles and you can meet me at home. Should I call the others and tell them if they know what's good for them they will stay away?" He teased right back. I breathed a sigh of relief; I wanted tonight to be about us reconnecting without any negative feelings in our way.

"Nah, we will have plenty of time before they get home to enjoy ourselves. Then I will make us some dinner and we can enjoy our evening before we go right back to bed and enjoy our night."

"Sounds wonderful, Angel. I can't wait…I love you, Bella, more than you will ever know."

"I love you too. Call me and I will meet you at home."

"Okay."

I disconnected the call and worked like a mad woman. I quickly went through all of my emails and responded to them. I cleared my desk of any paperwork that couldn't wait until tomorrow and locked the three drafts that I was working on in my desk drawer. I wasn't taking any work home tonight. I wouldn't even think of work tonight, of that I was sure. They would be safe in the locked, fire proof desk drawer at work. Tomorrow was another day. I walked down the hall to Charlotte's office. I informed her that all of my work was wrapped up and I was heading home for the day. She smiled and nodded at me.

"He must be on the way home, the flush on your cheeks tells on you. Go and enjoy your night with Edward. Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Sure, I don't see why not."

"Well, just don't be afraid to stay home and take care of business if you need to." She snickered like a little girl and actually hid her smile behind her hand.

This caused me to snicker as well.

"I will." I said as my phone rang again. My eyes lit up as Charlotte called for me to get out of her office and go home.

I answered the phone as I was running back down the hall towards my office.

"Hello."

"Hurry, baby, I'm only about twenty minutes from you. I can't wait to see you."

"I'm leaving now."

"I love you."

"And I love you too."

We hung up, even though we wanted to talk to each other. I was afraid that I was too distracted to rush home and talk at the same time. We both decided that we didn't want to cause an accident so I reluctantly hung up.

Only ten minutes until you see his face! Only ten minutes until you see his face!

Only ten minutes until you see his face! Only ten minutes until you see his face! Only ten minutes until we are in each other's arms!

And before I knew it, I saw his Volvo turn into our driveway right in front of me. We had timed it perfectly, neither of us would have to stand around and wait for the other to arrive. Edward and I accelerated slightly down the driveway and came to an abrupt stop at the end. He jumped out of his car and ran to mine. He yanked the door open and barely gave me time to remove my seatbelt before he yanked me up into his arms.

He kicked the car door closed with his foot and rushed towards the front door. I held my key out to him and he unlocked the door, while still holding me against him. I kissed him along his chest and across his shoulders. He paused to slam the front door and immediately began unbuttoning his dress shirt.

We made a trail from the front door all the way up to our room. By the time we reached the bed we were both naked. Edward laid my down on the bed and immediately placed his body over mine. I gasped at the warm contact of his body with mine. We gazed at each other, lost in our own separate thoughts. I could see the love and happiness emanating from Edward and tried to return those feelings to him.

Edward tilted his head slightly and made contact with my lips. It was a slow, passionate kiss, one that held the pent up emotions of the last two weeks. That released them all and allowed us to focus on the pleasure that we were giving each other right now in this moment.

I moved my legs and wrapped them around Edward's waist. I gasped against his mouth when his body made contact with my sensitive, heated core. There would be no need for any wasted time on foreplay; I was ready for Edward right now.

"Oh, Edward, I've been waiting for this for two weeks. I can't wait to feel you again."

"Bella, oh, Bella." He whispered as he entered me.

I gasped again at the warmth and fullness. Edward hesitated slightly but I pushed him deeper with my heels. I wanted him as deep as he could get. His head dropped down to my shoulder as he wrapped his arms under my shoulder blades and back up over my shoulders. He held me in place below him, and I loved the protective, almost dominant way he made love to me.

I turned my head to face his on my shoulder. There was no rhythm or rhyme to our love making, it was slow then fast, hushed then vocal, relaxed then rushed. It was whatever our bodies required, no thought was put in the actions only feelings. Our lips maintained constant contact, sometimes kissing sometimes just touching. I could feel Edward's thrusts falter and knew that he was almost there, this alone fueled my fire. The simple knowledge that I made him feel the exact same way that he made me feel when we were together spurred my orgasm as it ripped through my body and left me completely weak and motionless. Edward continued to thrust several more times when I felt him empty into me. My body crested another peak as it exploded into a second orgasm of epic proportions; Edward continued to fuel the fire with the steady thrusts of his body into mine.

We were wrapped up in each other's arms, touching and caressing each other when we heard the first car pulling down the driveway. We both sighed and began to move off of the bed.

After I finished dressing and descending the stairs, I noticed that Jasper had made his way into the house. He carried Edward's suitcase, messenger bag and car keys with him.

"Sort of looks like someone was in a hurry!" Jasper smiled at the two of us, probably enjoying my blush at his statement.

"You bet your ass I was. Thanks for the help." Edward moved to take the bags from Jasper.

"Nah, I got 'em. You two need more privacy? 'Cause I can call the others and take them out for a few hours and keep them busy for you." I blushed again.

"Bella was actually planning to make some dinner for everyone. Unless you want to eat out, if so then be my guest. We will enjoy our quiet night in." Edward ran his hand up and down my left arm, I broke out in chills.

"You all are perfectly welcome to stay in with us if you want. We don't care, really." I told Jasper. I knew that Jasper along with the rest of the family were all as anxious to see Edward as I was. Especially Carlisle, I knew he wanted to talk to Edward about his time. Talk shop with him.

"If y'all are sure then that's fine with me. I won't ever turn down Bella's cooking. Let me go and set these down and I will come and help you both in the kitchen." Jasper moved off up the stairs and we both moved towards the kitchen.

"Hey, call Carlisle and Esme and invite them. I'm making pasta and there's plenty for them, too. Besides Carlisle is dying to talk with you about your time. I'm gonna check the pantry and make sure that I have everything that I need to make dinner before Rose and Alice head home."

"Well, well, look what the cat dragged in!" Emmett boomed from the kitchen doorway. He rushed towards Edward, and scooped him up in a big bear hug. Edward hung helplessly from Emmett's arms. He had trapped Edward's arm down at his sides. He had no way to push away. Emmett dropped his feet back onto the floor and punched his shoulder. "Man, I am so glad that you are home. Bella has been a total bitch and she has burned everything that she has cooked. I think that I lost about 10 pounds. She is definitely off of her game." My mouth fell open in shock. Emmett was lying through his nice white teeth, I ran at him with the spatula and began to smack him about his head and chest.

"You take that shit back, you are so lying. Take it back right now, Emmett McCarty Cullen!" Edward and Jasper just stood back and watched the ass kicking I was giving Emmett. Though to be fair, Emmett never even tried to defend himself. He simply took it and laughed. I don't really think it was much of an ass kicking in the grand scheme of things, but still it brought me some pleasure to be doing it.

"Fine, fine. I was lying, she hasn't burned a thing and she was as sweet as pie." Emmett held his hands up over his head in surrender, so I backed off from him.

The guys started talking at the breakfast bar as I scanned the pantry for my ingredients. I loaded my arms and when I reached for the last item, I dropped several I had. Edward made his way over, still talking with Emmett and simply took all of the things from me. He carried them over to the stove and set them all down, smiled at me and returned to his original seat. It moved me to see him so focused on his conversation but still have room in his mind to know when I needed his attention or help.

Edward called Carlisle and Esme and I called Alice and Rosalie. Both were already on their way over. The beers came out for the guys as they kept talking and I kept cooking. I enjoyed the rowdy atmosphere in the kitchen. It struck me how perfect this kitchen was for our family. Large enough that we could occupy the space without feeling clustered in. I was at peace with my life and happy with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment