Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chapter 2- Days Like This

Playlist: Days Like This-Van Morrison, All I Want to Do-Sugarland(when she sees Edward shirtless), Damn I Wish I was Your Lover- Sophie B. Hawkins(seing Edward), Blame It-Jamie Foxx(club), Use Somebody- KOL(club), Ghost-Parachute(in the car driving w/Edward), Yeah- Usher(club)


When it's not always raining, there'll be days like this

When there's no one complaining, there'll be days like this

Everything falls into place, like the flick of a switch

Well my Mama told me they'll be days like this

When you don't need to worry, there'll be days like this

When no one's in a hurry, there'll be days like this

When you don't get betrayed by that old Judas kiss

Well my Mama told me there'll be days like this

When you don't need an answer, there'll be days like this

When you don't meet a chancer, there'll be days like this

When all the parts of the puzzle start to look like they'll fit

Then I must remember there'll be days like this

Van Morrison- Days Like This

Chapter 2- Days Like This

Bella's POV

Carlisle called me first thing in the morning. He wanted to let me know that Esme had talked to John, the contractor. He would be over a little after 10 to start the kitchen demolition. I was so excited about getting a new kitchen. Esme wanted to shop for appliances later. She would call back when she was free to head out. When I was finished talking with Carlisle, I called Rosalie. I knew she would want to know about last night with Jacob.

"Hello?" She sounded groggy.

"Rosalie, you busy?" I always felt the need to ask, since Rose and Emmett were complete horn dogs. You never knew what they were up to.

"No Emmett left to go and play at a basketball tournament with Jasper about an hour ago. I am starving so why don't we call Alice and go grab some breakfast?" she suggested.

"Sounds good, I will meet you at Milly's in about 30 minutes?" I wanted my life to continue as usual. This ritual was certainly normal for me. We had met for breakfast there all throughout our college years, it was the cheapest meal to buy.

"Yeah, I will call Alice and go by and pick her up. She scares the hell out of me in that Porsche."Rosalie quipped, I laughed at that, to think little Alice could scare tough Rosalie. Besides, she scared the hell out of me as well.

"Hey, hurry I have to be back here by 10 to meet the contractor so that he can get started with demolition." I was excited about the new kitchen. I would do whatever I needed to so that I didn't delay the progress.

"Oooh, sounds fun maybe we can all come back to see what our new kitchen demolition crew looks like," Rosalie offered.

"Ok, see you at Milly's." I flipped my phone shut and tried to decide what to wear.

We were all seated and had placed our orders in our 30 minute time frame. Esme had also called back. She wanted us all to come and help her shop for the appliances for the kitchen. She would be ready by 11, so we told her to meet us at the house.

With our planning out of the way Rosalie moved on to the real subject of the morning. She wanted details about last night.

"So are you going to tell me or what?" Rosalie sneered at me. She could even make a snort sound sexy.

"I picked him up at the airport and we went straight to dinner. He was quiet on the way to the restaurant, it was like he knew. When we got there they sat us in a booth in the back, you know, in the corner that is usually dark. He held my hand and told me to go ahead and tell him what was on my mind. So I told him, I said that I was sorry that I took so long to figure out that he wasn't my soul mate. I wanted to experience a deep passionate love, but the love I had for him wasn't the kind of love that made me yearn to spend the rest of my life with him. I admitted that I tried harder to make something happen with him because he was such a good friend and he was safe, so to speak. I told him I didn't want to be a third wheel, so I tried to force something between us. He said he understood, and he had been planning to talk to me about the same thing. He agreed that we were great friends but he didn't think that we should be together anymore. We both admitted that there was no one else, this was just about us. He offered to move out of the apartment and then he offered to help me move my stuff when I told him about the house. He was a little hurt when he found out about the house. I told him I didn't know before yesterday either. He made me promise that we could be friends without any weirdness, and I agreed. He drove me back to the house and let me out. And that was it. I was so thankful to hear that he felt the same as I did. I was so sure that I was just flipping out about being done with school and having to move on. It made me realize I had a true and valid point. So that's what happened."

"How in the hell do you get the easy break-up? All the break-ups I have had were terrible awful events, with lots of screaming and yelling. If Em and I broke up, I am not sure one of us would walk away. But you just do it quietly in a restaurant full of people and then he drives you home. Bella, you are one of a kind." Rosalie flipped her hair over her shoulder and started eating her pancakes.

"Rosalie, you have only had one break-up and you were in junior high then. Everything in junior high involves yelling and screaming. You can't base Bella and Jake on you in junior high. I think they handled it correctly, and I am glad that he was ready for it as well. That keeps anyone from getting hurt, because I don't think I can handle any crying messes in the middle of a promotion, moving and everything else, " Alice squealed the last bit of info at Rose and I, the excitement was almost lifting her up off of the seat she was in.

"You got a promotion?" Both Rosalie and I shouted at the same time.

"Yes, it is a small one, but major in the grand scheme of things. I am now the Junior Designer for Junior/Misses line that the company is now designing. So yeah, I got a promotion!"she squealed at us.

"Alice that is huge, I am so glad for you. Now start bringing us some of those samples home so we can benefit from your promotion. We're poor starving college students, you remember that." Rosalie nudged Alice's shoulder to emphasize the point. Alice just chuckled. I shook my head.

"Rosalie, Alice knows we're not starving students anymore. But Alice you can still bring us stuff home, we would both be appreciative of anything." I said as I stuffed my mouth with French toast. Alice just smiled and nodded her head.

"I'm just glad we're all together and out of school. Man, can I just say that if I had several more years of that shit I would pull my hair out? I don't know how Edward does it, he is only Half finished. Now he has to start his residency. Then, because we all know how Edward is, he will want to specialize so he has ,what, 40 years before he is done?" Rosalie spat with indifference. Although Rosalie was a believer of higher education, she didn't see the point in the amount of higher education that Edward wanted.

"Edward is following his dream just like the rest of us. Yes, it is just like Edward to pick a dream that makes him study and suffer for a few extra years, but he is happy so leave him alone Rose." Alice and Edward always were the closest of the five of them. She took it the hardest when he left and went across the country for college. He wanted to be able to focus and apply himself, so he said. Running from Tanya was probably more like it, but who can say what was in that head of his.

"Has anyone heard from Edward? I haven't seen or talked to him since Christmas. I asked. Edward and I were always friends but Tanya managed to keep all girls at arm's length from him so we never developed a friendship like I did with all of the others. I really liked Edward. He had a great sense of humor and always got my jokes.

Alice and Rosalie both shook their heads.

"We should ask Esme when we meet her later. She would know." I said as I glanced at the time. I realized that we only had twenty minutes to finish eating and meet John back at the house. I took one last drink of orange juice and grabbed my purse.

"Girls, let's head out or we will miss our demo crew. We wouldn't want to suffer the wrath of Esme. You know how she gets when her schedule is not followed, no one wants that."I reminded them, truth be told I wanted to be there for myself just as much for Esme. I couldn't wait to cook a meal in the new state of the art kitchen.

After a small argument, Rosalie agreed to let Alice drive home. This was the one time I was thankful that Alice was driving because she always drove like a bat out of hell. After all we needed to be at the house on time.

Between John and Esme, we had our new dream kitchen planned out. John and his crew started on demolition as we cleared the area. We were not the demolition kind of girls. We were the shopping kind of girls. Alice wasn't as happy since it was only kitchen appliances and cabinets, but she finally conceded that shopping was shopping.

When we arrived back home, there was a moving van in our driveway. We all looked at each other for answers. No one seemed to know who was responsible. I was afraid Jacob was up to something, but held that fear inside. Esme parked in front of the garage and we all walked around to the front of the house. Alice peeked inside the truck. The boxes offered no clue as to an identity.

The front door snatched open. Emmett, Jasper and Edward came stumbling out, they were shoving and punching each other. All shirtless and sweating, might I add. Holy Mary Mother of God, the Cullen boys grew up just fine. I had seen Jasper and Emmett shirtless many times. However, when you take in the group of them together, it was too much for a poor girl's body to take. Edward especially, it had been too long since I had seen him, obviously. He was too sexy for words. His awkward teen aged body stretched into a full set of muscles. His bronze hair had not changed at all, it was still very unruly, only now it fit him perfectly. He looked like sex in shoes. I wanted to run my hand along his abs and see where that slight patch of hair disappeared to beneath his shorts.

"Edward, damn why do you have to have such heavy furniture? You couldn't go the traditional college dorm stuff? You always amaze me." Emmett was complaining. Jasper was just chuckling and gave Edward a light shove. They all three looked up at us at the same time.

Alice and Rosalie both squealed like little girls, and jumped to hug Edward. He looked happy. He had a huge grin on his face. It lit up his features and made his eyes sparkle.

"Gross! Edward you are soaking wet. A little warning would have been nice, jerk." Rosalie slapped him on the back of his head and Alice landed a punch to the stomach. He just laughed.

Our eyes met and he smiled again.

"Bella, why don't you want to come and give me a hug?"He smirked and raised an eyebrow at me.

I just stood rooted to my little spot on the front porch. I couldn't even make my mind move my feet. I shook my head and realized that everyone was looking at me.

"Hell no, Edward. I learn from others mistakes, you are sweaty and gross, " I said as I moved towards him to slap him on the shoulder.

"Whatever, you know you want to." He stuck his tongue out at me. "So what is the brat pack up to today?" he asked the three of us.

"We were having breakfast and picking out kitchen stuff with Esme. I, uhm, I can't wait to use the new kitchen; it is going to be a dream." I was having trouble talking to Edward with his shirt off.

"Yeah, Dad told me that you are moving in with us, so when will you be in?" He asked.

"Well actually, I moved in yesterday. I broke up with Jake and needed a place to stay, so here I am. I am the waiting on the other slackers to get their act together and join me. What about you, I take it by the boxes that you are moving in with us. When did you get here? We were talking about you at breakfast. We were wondering what you were up to." Great my verbal filter was no longer working. I should just go ahead and reveal everything to him. He hasn't even been here 10 minutes. What is it about Edward that has me blubbering like a school girl? I've seen half naked, sexy men before. Change that to really, really sexy.

Esme saved him from answering. She came through the front door and grabbed him. He turned and gave her a hug, and she had the same reaction as the other two, disgust. She smacked his arm.

Watching Edward with his family was nice. When he dated Tanya, he wasn't quite himself. Almost like he was afraid to show her who he really was.

"Edward , I have to work. Now I will have to go and change before my meeting. When did you get here?" she asked as she tried to wipe the offending sweat off of her.

"This morning, I called Em and Jaz to come and help me unpack. The lazy bums made me buy them breakfast before they would do any work. Can you believe that?" We all chuckled. Emmett requires food before he can do any type of activity, so it made sense.

"Hey, Edward needed a break from driving. He had been in that truck for several days. I was looking out for my brother!" Emmett was trying to sound sincere, but it only came out as a whine. With that comment we all broke into a full laugh.

Esme kissed Edward on the cheek as she spoke to him. "I am glad you are here. Now I have you all in one place. No more worrying about my long lost son. I have to get to work. All of you come for dinner tomorrow night, okay?" She looked at each of us in turn. All of the others were shaking their heads in affirmation. I was looking downward.

"Bella, that includes you also. You have been with us as long as the rest of them. So I guess that makes you one of my kids as well. So are you in?" Esme asked me, as all the others turned to see what my response would be.

"Sure, if you are sure you all want me there," I stuttered.

They all groaned in unison, so I smiled and nodded at Esme. She walked away as we headed back inside.

"So how much more do you have to bring in?" Alice asked Edward.

"Nothing else. All of this is going to the storage room until they are done with the downstairs. Then this can come back if we need it. So boys let's take this stuff over and then we can get rid of this truck, and shower. I have two months of vacation before I start my residency and I am going to celebrate. What do you think?" His enthusiasm was contagious and we all agreed. Of course we didn't need very much of a reason to go and celebrate.

Alice clapped her hands and Rosalie joined in. I looked wary, but I was up for some fun. Emmett and Jasper were doing a happy dance that the work was almost over. The boys left to take care of the truck.

"Ok, Bella, let's go get you dressed up." Alice grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the steps.

"Alice, I can pick out my own clothes, I don't need help. Besides, where are we going?" I asked. Alice whipped out her phone and started dialing.

"Jaz, ask Edward where we are going tonight, I need to know how to dress Bella," she chirped into the phone at him.

She had him on speaker phone, so we could hear him ask Edward. And we could hear Edward's reply.

"Tell her to leave Bella alone, she dresses herself just fine," Edward stated in a matter of fact tone that made me blush.

"Alice, Edward said to leave her alone." Jasper repeated to Alice. He should have known better. Maybe he thought he was safe with his distance from the house.

"Yeah, I heard him. Tell him I said to mind his own business and tell me where we are going!" Alice took charge of the conversation.

"I heard you myself Ali and I am not sure. Where do you girls want to go?" Edward stepped in and tried to save Jasper from a full on war with Alice.

"Dinner at Zorba's and then dancing. How does that sound?" Alice asked.

"Ok, dinner at Zorba's and dancing. Dress Bella for that, but be nice to her, Alice." Alice was beaming at that statement. She hated it when we didn't take her suggestions. I was once again blushing at his comment.

"Thanks, Edward, I am glad at least one of you is reasonable to deal with." Alice flipped her phone closed.

She flipped through my closet like a mad woman. She stopped flipping when she found a pale pink sleeveless shirt. She laid it on the bed and then began searching again. This time she came out with a black wool flounce skirt. She laid it out on my bed beside the shirt and pushed me off towards the shower.

When I emerged from the shower, Rosalie set me down in a chair in the bathroom. She applied some stuff to my hair and began blow drying it. She put in some hot rollers and sat back to wait.

I took a deep breath, thinking all of the torture was over. Then Alice swept into the room and began applying makeup. She put some smoky gray eye shadow that made my eyes look sultry, and when the mascara was applied they seemed to become larger. All in all this was by far my favorite look Alice had ever created. She applied a little lip gloss and she was done.

Rosalie came back in to finish my hair. She pulled the hot rollers out and fluffed my hair with her fingers. She pulled it half way up away from my face. She left the length hanging down the back of my neck.

"Bella, the boys like to see a little neck, especially yours. It will drive them crazy when you dance. It's a good thing we have Emmett, Jasper and Edward around to ward off any strays that want to follow us home. We will keep you safe, my pretty!" And she rubbed her hands together and started laughing like the Wicked Witch of the West, or wait was it the East? Who cares, she did the voice well, I was sure we should be afraid of that.

I heard Edward's shower running, so he must have arrived back at the house.

Alice and Rosalie left to go and get dressed themselves. Thankfully they left us Rosalie's BMW to drive to the restaurant. Because I knew Edward wouldn't want to drive my beat up truck, and his Volvo was still at Carlisle and Esme's.

I came down stairs to appraise the kitchen, trying to kill time. I ran into Edward on the stairs, literally, and he threw out his arms to catch me. He saved me from falling backwards off of the stairs.

He laughed and I blushed. "Bella, I see some things never change."

"Hey, I am in four inch heels thanks to your sister. And I didn't see you here, so all in all I am much better than I was back in school," I replied, somehow I wanted Edward to see that things had changed since high school. Knowing that I cared what he thought scared me.

"Oh Bella, things are definitely different than high school. You are so different, not that you weren't great then. But the grown up Bella is as sexy as hell. Man, you clean up real nice. I am going to have to fight off the men all night, that is unless you want them." He took my hand and lifted it over my head and twirled me in a little circle so he could see me from every angle. As I completed the turn he wagged his eyebrow at me. I, of course, was blushing at his comment.

"No, I think I'm ok for now. Let's give it some time before I jump right back into another relationship. Thanks for the compliment though. If we don't get going we'll be late. Alice hasn't changed at all, and she will be so pissed off if we are late. Besides Emmett will make some sort of rude comment about what took us so long, he never let's shit like that go. " His stance was slightly possessive and it was nice to think he had any feelings what so ever for me.

Edward sighed and held his arm out for me proceed him downstairs. I wondered if he had planned this because I was sure I could feel him staring at my ass. So I did the only thing a girl could do…I made sure it swayed just the right way when I walked. A small groan passed from Edward's lips when I turned to look at him over my shoulder with a smile on my lips. He returned the smile but turned it into a smirk, as if to say 'game on!'

When Edward held the door for the car open for me, I wasn't sure if it was his manners or if he was trying to get a good look up my skirt. Lord knows Alice made it real easy on him, she couldn't have found one that was shorter. Usually I didn't like to dress like this. I was fairly conservative with my clothes, but with the looks that Edward gave me, it was making me rethink the whole process. I took my time folding my legs into the car, watching his face as he watched my legs. Yes I could definitely get used to this. He was mumbling something under his breath as he started the car. I just smiled at him

I felt like a princess when Edward held my hand and helped me out of the car. For the first time, I noticed how well his pants fit snugly across his fine ass. I allowed my hand to brush across his chest when I stood beside him, pretending I needed his help to gain my balance. His chest felt so warm and hard under my hand. He took my hand to steady me, pulling it up and giving it a small kiss across my knuckles.

"Bella, you look beautiful tonight," he said with his lips still pressed to the back of my hand.

"Thanks, Edward, you look pretty good yourself." And I leaned in and placed a small kiss on his cheek. I turned to see Alice and Jasper walking up to us, she must have seen the kiss because her mouth was hanging open. When we entered the restaurant Emmett and Rosalie were already seated at the table. The mood was light and fun as we all talked over dinner.

"So Bella, tell me about you and Jake breaking up, I thought you two would end up married with kids." Edward looked straight into my eyes and held my gaze. I swear he could make a woman loose all coherent thoughts with just his eyes. I shuddered to think what the rest of him could do to a woman. I cleared my head of the dirty thoughts and tried to answer him.

"Well, I just realized that while I did love him, it wasn't enough. I want a love that sets my soul on fire, not one that I just settle for. I think we tried too hard in high school we should have just stayed good friends. That's where we made the mistake to try to take it to the next level. Jake it turns out felt the same way, so we parted. I moved out and here I am." I waved my hand to indicate my current position at the table. "Alice called me and asked me to meet her to see this great place she had found. I was shocked to find everyone else there as well. Before I knew it Carlisle was asking me if I wanted to be roomies with all of these knuckle heads. Who could refuse that offer? Besides I really want to know about you. What's going on with you being here? We were just asking what you were up to and where you were going to go for your residency. None of us knew. Then all of the sudden you are at the house and moving in, so what gives with you?"

All conversation had stopped and everyone was waiting on Edward's answer. He was always so private with his thoughts that everyone wanted to see if he was going to answer.

"Well, I talked to Carlisle. He told me about the house, and I was so envious of all of you getting to live together. Besides I was all alone out there. So I called him back and asked him for recommendations on where I could do my residency. I think that four years on my own was enough. So here I am and you all are stuck with me now. I have already had more fun in one day than I can remember having the whole time I was away at school. So, now everyone close your mouths and eat. We have some dancing to do." He gave as much away tonight as he was going to reveal to us. With Edward sometimes the story comes out in small pieces. You just had to be patient enough to wait for him to trust you enough to tell you the whole story. But deep down inside I knew there was more to Edward's coming home story than he was saying. I scanned the table and met eyes with Alice. I could see her hesitancy in Edward's story as well.

Edward's attitude of happiness was seeping into each of us. We were more than ready to celebrate with him.

I rode to the club with Edward, so I could ask a few more questions without the rest of the group waiting to hear his answers. I was hoping with the dark intimacy of the car he would answer me honestly.

"Edward, wasn't it hard to pack up and move so far away from all of your family? Didn't that scare you at least a little?"I immediately glanced down at the car's floor boards to keep from meeting his gaze.

"Of course, but I figured that it was the time. After I came to live with Carlisle and Esme we all relied on each other to make us a home and make us happy. I loved that I had found a family with them, and brothers and sisters. But I needed to know if I could make it on my own. I took advantage of the split with Tanya. I decided that college was the time to do it. I loved it at first, but the longer I was there, the more I began to miss each member of my family for different reasons. Now that it was time to make a change anyway, I decided to come home. I really was envious of all of you being together. So here I am." I was surprised that he replied with so much honesty. Usually he joked his way through questions to keep from revealing the real answers. Or more like revealing the real emotions behind the answers.

"I am proud of you, you were the only one strong enough to go off and make it on your own. You did a great job, and I am glad you are home. It is probably very juvenile, but it does feel like we are in high school all over again. I can't wait for all of the others to move in. I love all of you, and I needed a family just like all of the rest of you did. Thanks for accepting me in your family."I blushed as I said this to Edward. I was sure he would think I was a sentimental crazy girl, but instead he reached over and grabbed my hand. He gave it a reassuring squeeze.

We didn't have any more time to talk because we had arrived at the club. Edward parked and came around to open my door. I could see his steady gait as he crossed the front of the car to help me out. I knew that it was going to be hard to live in the house with Edward. He was more of a man than I had ever seen. Every move he made was sexy. He again held my hand and helped me out.

For a brief moment I thought about flashing him my underwear, but I didn't want to start something with Edward. I knew that Edward was a love them and leave them kind of guy.

I didn't need that; I was on a mission to find my soul mate. Edward was definitely the kind that could break my heart. So I gave him a small smile instead. He returned the smile and placed his hand on the small of my back to guide me into the club. Somehow when he did this small gesture it felt right, and like he was flaunting me. Nothing like when Jake did it. Jake managed to make me feel simple and unable to take care of myself.

I wondered about the difference in the two men. I had known both for as long as I could remember. Both I felt certain considered me a part of their family. So how could the two be any different? If Jake wasn't my soulmate, how could Edward be either?

I was scared that I would end up alone, moving from man to man. Just like my mother, Renee. Did she make a mistake by not staying with Charlie? Did she give up her only chance at happiness? Living with Charlie had been easy enough when I was in high school. So what was so hard about it that she couldn't do it? Was I living with a curse of Renee's indecisions?

I knew that I needed to stop thinking about all of this and just start feeling it. Love was an emotion felt with the heart, not one that was thought about with the head.

Alice had secured us a large booth in the corner. We could see the dance floor and yet we were hidden from most of the club in this particular booth. I slid in beside Edward and wondered where Emmett and Rosalie had disappeared to. They were probably fucking in the car, so we could be waiting a long time for them. We all looked at each other and mentally agreed to start without them. They would show up when they were ready.

Edward waved over the cocktail waitress and she arrived without any delay. It was funny how the women always come running for Edward. She eyed him up and down, while asking, "What can I do for you?"

He turned to me and asked, "Bella, my love, what would you like to drink?"

"I would like a Screaming Orgasm, please." My eyes never left his as I batted my eyelashes at him. He smirked at me and turned back to the waitress.

"You heard the lady she wants a Screaming Orgasm, Alice what about you?"

"I'll have the same," she chirped.

I swear he winked at Jasper, and finished our orders. "The ladies will have two Screaming Orgasms, and 2 Jack and Cokes for us, please."

And with that she was gone.

I turned to Edward and asked, "Does that happen to you often?"

"What?" He feigned ignorance.

"Oh come on you didn't notice that you had her so dazzled that she almost stepped out of her panties right here for you?" Either he was so oblivious or he was way too cocky. I couldn't wait to find out which one.

"Bella, she is a waitress. She probably meets and goes home with a new guy each week. Hell each night, so why would she be special enough for me to want to spend any time with? I guarantee you that the ugliest guy in this room can give her a big enough tip and she will be all over him. There is no loyalty in places like this. Besides, there are a lot of diseases to be passed around in places like this. So no I didn't notice her," he replied to me, ok maybe he was way too picky.

Three things happened at once. Emmett and Rosalie arrived, a new song began playing, and Alice and Rosalie both began squealing about this being their song. So I was promptly pulled out onto the dance floor to dance with them. We danced together, staying close so no guys had the chance to cut in between us.

I almost never drank, so with the drinks from dinner I was feeling free. I was ready to cast off the shell of the former Bella and be the Bella I always wanted to be, a free, uninhibited, confident Bella. So I began this transformation by mimicking the dance moves that Alice and Rosalie were doing. I danced with my body in ways I never knew I could and I felt sexy. A feat I never knew was possible.

I felt Alice and Rosalie shift and move slowly apart to make room. I looked up to see Emmett, Jasper and Edward stalking towards us on the floor. I glanced around to see the girls again, suddenly nervous. They each had found their partner and were dancing in ways that were illegal in several states.

When I looked back up Edward was standing right in front of me. He was staring down at me, trying to catch my eyes. I immediately looked directly at him and was caught off guard by his soulful eyes. They held a little danger and some sadness right around the edges. It made me regret our distance and not knowing what had happened to him to cause that sadness in his eyes.

He leaned in close, his mouth ghosting along the side of my ear. His nearness and his cologne were causing heart palpitations. But I was gone when he whispered "Beautiful Bella, dance with me?" I was sure my heart stopped altogether. My inner girl squealed at this thought. I had nothing to worry about, because he would after all know mouth to mouth and could revive me.

"I can't dance very well," I whispered to him, causing him to lean in closer to me. "But if you feel safe then, sure I'll dance with you."

"You underestimate yourself, Bella. You are catching the attention of half of the guys in this place. You most certainly can dance. Come here." And with that he pulled me into his arms and began to move. All I could do was follow his movements. I wasn't sure what we were doing. I couldn't think past the feel of his chest under my fingers and his smell assaulting my brain. I wanted to be bold, but I was afraid that Edward was too skilled at the game of seduction for an amateur like me. I didn't want to get beat at my own game. So I stayed the same old shy Bella, who had managed to get a dance with Edward, so she wasn't so bad off after all.

The song changed to a slow haunting beat. Edward pulled me in closer and shifted my body so that I straddled his leg. I could feel him pressed against me from my knee up to my chest. He felt sinful and I wanted to lean over and lick his luscious jaw line.

I could feel the pressure of his hands on my back. One on my low back, one slightly higher. There was something so intimate about the dance we were sharing. I felt more with him fully clothed on a crowded dance floor than I had with the few men I had been totally naked and having sex with.

He moved what little hair was hanging on my neck so he could trace a line from my jaw to the hollow of my neck with his nose. I shuddered and he pulled away slightly. I pulled him back in and whispered "Stay." He held me close and we finished our dance.

When the song changed he pulled away and took my hand. He led me back to the booth with the others. I was disappointed that the song ended so quickly. I was ready to stay on the floor with Edward all night.

When we got back to the booth, several shots were lined up on the table. Rosalie had ordered them for us. So not wanting to look like well girls, we slammed them down as fast as we could. Rose and I slammed our last shot on the table, followed by Alice a few seconds behind. Each of us shuttered as the alcohol poured into our bodies. We all ran back off to the dance floor.

"Those women, my friends, are going to be the death of us," Jasper said with a mixture of pride and defeat in his voice. I saw Emmett nod his head, while Edward just shrugged.

Rosalie, Alice and I danced for what felt like hours together. We were close enough together to feel each other's bodies while we danced. The feel of their bodies combined with the shots we had was making me wish for Edward again.

I closed my eyes and allowed my body to move to the song in whatever way it wanted. I was too drunk to care what I looked like, I just felt. I imagined that Edward was dancing with me. Slowly sliding his hands over my body and pulling me in close to him again. I swayed with him to the song, feeling how his body brushed up against mine. I could feel a trail of fire where he moved over my body.

My body felt his presence before I saw him. He was approaching from my back. He placed one hand on my waist. The other he used to slide my arm up over my head and back to cup his neck. He slid his hand back down my raised arm and down to my ribcage. I could feel his long fingers grazed the side of my breast as he moved his hand downward to my hip. My nipples tighten and a small moan bubbled up from my throat. He leaned his head down closer to mine and whispered, "Mmmm, Bella." All I could do was nod.

He kept dancing, with my back pulled up against him. I closed my eyes and allowed the feelings to take over my body. He stretched open his hand and slid it back up my side. The slow agonizing pace he set was making me lean into him and almost beg him to touch my breasts again. I didn't care if we were on a crowded dance floor or not, I needed his touch.

I leaned my head back against his chest, exposing more of my neck, hoping that he would touch it as well. He traced down the side with his mouth and when he reached my shoulder he placed small kisses along it. Kissing along it's length and back up my neck. I lost all feeling below my neck and couldn't tell if we were still standing. I could only concentrate on his movements and how they made me feel.

He took his hand that had been placed on my hip and slid it down my leg until he reached the hem of my skirt. Taking the hem of my skirt and moving it aside, he slid his hand underneath it. It was almost enough to bring me to an orgasm with just the feel of his hands on my thigh. His hand started making slow small circles, easing up my thigh towards my pussy.

The anticipation was pushing me to my breaking point. And when he started placing open mouth kisses on my neck, it was too much. My body plunged over the edge and I had one of the best orgasms of my life. I shuddered against him and bit down on my lip to keep from calling out his name. I didn't want everyone in the club to know Edward was able to stroke me into an orgasm without even touching my pussy. He held me still for a few minutes and allowed me to come down from my high. He fixed my clothes and we turned to walk back to our table. Somehow during our "dance" we ended up across the dance floor at the far end of the bar.

He leaned into the booth to tell Alice that we were going home. "Alice, it's late and Bella and I are going to head home. Call us and we will all meet before we head over for dinner at Carlisle and Esme's, ok?"

"Ok," was all she managed to say. She was deep into making out with Jasper. They both just gave a small wave at us as we were walking off.

Edward waved to Emmett and Rosalie who were still on the dance floor. They nodded and returned the wave.

When we stepped out into the night air Edward pulled me close to ward off the chill. But I was thankful for his arms to help steady my walk to the car. He unlocked the door, held it open for me, and proceeded around to the driver's side. I was thankful for the minute away from Edward. I needed to gather my wits, and that definitely couldn't be done with his body in such close proximity to mine. I buckled my seatbelt and leaned back against the headrest. I sighed and tried to decide if the pleasure I could get from Edward was worth the heartbreak that would come when he left.

He slid in and started the car. I shivered at his nearness and he reached to turn on the heat for me. As we pulled out of the parking lot, he took my hand and held it while he drove home.

At some point in the drive I fell asleep because I woke up in my bed, dressed in a pair of pajamas. So Edward must have carried me in and helped me undress for bed. The pounding in my head told me I wasn't ready to get up yet, so I snuggled back down in the covers and went back to sleep.

When I awoke later, I took the two aspirins that were placed on my nightstand, and I drank almost all of the water bottle. I knew that I needed the shower to wash off the sweat and humiliation of last night. It would make me feel better and hopefully clear my head. I never drank like that and I certainly didn't make out with old friends I hadn't seen in several years. I wasn't sure what to say to Edward. Hopefully he was slightly drunk and would use that as an excuse. Anything to not to have to tell him how much I enjoyed his dance and all else he gave me. I didn't need the distraction of a fling. I needed to concentrate on starting my life; otherwise my breakup with Jacob was for nothing. I would have thrown him out of my life for nothing, and Jacob deserved more than that, besides Edward didn't need any distractions. He was about to start his residency, and he needed to focus. So for both of our sakes we needed to cool this, whatever it is. I decided that when my shower was done I would find Edward and clear the air with him. I would try to make him understand how sorry I am that I participated in last night, and it wouldn't happen again.

With my shower done, I was dressed and ready to talk to Edward. I called for him upstairs and knocked on his door. No answer, so I opened it tentatively and peeked in his room. He was nowhere to be seen and his bathroom door was open, so he wasn't hiding in there either. I went downstairs and called for him, no answer. I went into the kitchen and found a note hanging on the last remaining evidence of our kitchen, the refrigerator.

Bella,

I went to get coffee and something for breakfast since we can't cook in Little Baghdad here. I will be back soon, call if you need anything while I am out-555-5808.

Edward

I went up to my room to wait for him. Trying to argue with the side of myself that wanted a fling with Edward. I heard his steady feet running up the stairs. Either way I needed to clear the air about last night. No matter which side of myself won the argument, we needed to take it a lot slower than we did last night.

"Hey, thanks for getting breakfast. I need to find out if we can run a cord for at least a microwave or a hot plate. Otherwise we are going to be eating out every day. Maybe we can raid Alice's kitchen, lord knows she had never stepped foot in there herself."I suggested to Edward as he unpacked our coffee.

"Well that sounds like a great idea, because I can't take any more take out. I have survived on take out, and the places that were usually open at the late hours when I was ready for food wasn't considered fine dining. So a little home cooking would be great. I got an assortment so take what you want," he offered as he waved at the box of doughnuts.

"Doughnuts, yummy, I love the apple filled ones. They are almost like eating apple pie!" I exclaimed with glee.

"Me, I like the chocolate covered ones. And if it has sprinkles, even better." And with that he took a large bite out of his doughnut and covered his face in chocolate. I couldn't help but smile, in so many ways he had never changed. He was still a small boy on the inside. I could definitely see the Emmett influence in him.

I took a long drink of the coffee Edward brought back for me. I was stalling and trying to figure out how to bring up last night. I decided to just jump in with both feet.

"Edward, I uh need to talk to you about last night. I think I may have gotten out of hand and I am sorry. I guess I am the only person alive who didn't drink much in college, and I paid for all the drinks I had last night. I hope I didn't embarrass you too much and I hope this doesn't make us awkward."

"Bella, don't be silly, we are cool. I think I may have had a little too much to drink as well, so I apologize for my actions as well. We are ok, I promise." He met my eyes and smiled.

I heard the words but somehow they didn't seem genuine. They felt rehearsed and flat. No real meaning to them. I worried that maybe he had read something into the night and was now hurt. I remembered the sadness I saw in his eyes and didn't want to add to that. I felt like he needed me to reach out and hold him, or maybe rub his head like a toddler until his hurt was gone. If only it were as simple as a kiss and make it go away solution. I would do it if I could.

"Edward, tell me about your time at college. What did you do and how did you cope without your family?" I was not sure where in the hell that thought had come from?

"It was hard at first, but I settled into a routine. I spent a lot of time studying since I didn't know anyone to party with and I guess it became a habit. We had a great library so I spent plenty of time in there doing research for my papers. A lot of the other kids used papers that were on the internet, or at least did a lot of their research on the internet, but not me. I wanted the actual book in front of me to be happy with the information. I know that sounds kind of creepy, but it's true. Don't tell Rose, she will ask why I went through an emo phase. She is always accusing me of that emo shit. I just knew I had many years of work ahead and I figured that I would start out right, you know?" He shrugged and made it sound like it was no big deal.

"Hey you don't have to tell me about the draw of the library. I was Lit major, remember? I am sure I can rival your library hours anytime. What about human interaction and companionship, didn't you crave that? Wasn't it lonely just going to library?"I was suddenly interested in his college years. I needed to figure out what caused the sadness and I was sure the years with Carlisle and Esme had nothing to do with it. So that only left his college years.

"Well Bella, I had some companionship there, for a while I was with Tanya. She moved in for a while and so I wasn't totally alone. What about you, did you get to see Jacob much?" He shrugged and casually answered this, like we all should have known that Tanya followed Edward out to college.

I was totally surprised at the Tanya revelation, as far as I knew no one mentioned that she went out with Edward. I tried to cover my surprise and answer his question. I would ask Alice and Rosalie later when Tanya went to live with Edward.

"Well, Jacob was working so we only saw each other off and on. It was easier when I moved in. I was tired of dorm life so when he suggested that I live with him it made sense. I would get out of the dorms and have a real place to live. He did need to have someone there when he was gone traveling for long periods of time anyway. It was cool at first, it was like playing house. Jacob has always been great to me and I tried to take good care of him, I hope I did. I am glad that if I did have to make a mistake, that it was with Jacob. Most guys wouldn't have been as understanding as he was."

"Yeah, we didn't know each other that well, but he seemed like a great guy. You want to head on over to Alice and Jasper's to hang out before we head to dinner?" he responded to me. I think he was trying to change the subject and keep me from asking any more questions.

"Yeah, since I can't get into our kitchen to cook, can we stop and pick up some stuff to take to Alice's and then I can cook there?"I asked.

"Sure, but why are you cooking? You know Esme will have everything we need there, right?"

"She always thinks of everything, but cooking is in my blood. I feel like I will go through withdrawals if I am out of the kitchen for more than a day. So like it or not I need to cook. Please, Edward, help me feed my addiction." I exaggerated my hand movements and facial expressions on the last part, hopefully playing the part of an addict.

He just laughed and grabbed the keys. He pushed me towards the door and we headed to Rosalie's car.

He turned the music up loud and we sang on the way to the grocery store. He came in with me and helped me pick out items we needed for a salad and dessert. When we reached the counter to pay Edward pulled out his wallet and paid before I realized what he did. I tried to give him the money back, but he pushed my hands away.

"Bella, you aren't working yet, I can't let you pay for food you are making for us."

"Edward, you aren't working either, so if your standards are correct you shouldn't pay either. Take my money."

"Yeah but Bella I have money and you know it, so don't be stubborn."

Edward pulled out his phone and dialed Alice's cell. He wanted to tell her we were on the way over.

"Hey Al, Bella and I just finished shopping for some food. We are headed over to your place. We just wanted to give you and Jasper a few minutes to get dressed before we arrive."

He was silent for a few seconds and then he shook his head as he responded "Well you should have called us before. We are almost at your place and we didn't bring our swimsuits."

Silence again and then he said, "Ok problem solved, see you in a few."

"Well apparently we are going to swim this afternoon at Carlisle and Esme's. So Alice will loan you a suit and Jasper has some trunks that I can wear. I think you should be very afraid Bella, Alice said something about a suit she had been trying to get you into for ages."

"Oh great, who knows what that means." I was suddenly really scared. Alice was a force of nature and there was no way I was strong enough to cross her and her decisions.

We rode in silence for a few miles, when a thought suddenly occurred to me, and I need to ask Edward to clarify for me.

"Edward, does anyone else know that Tanya lived with you when you left for college? I don't want to spill any secrets or anything," I lied. I really just wanted to know why no one ever mentioned it to me and so I was using his protection as a cover to get my answers.

"Well actually no, Bella, no one knows. They were pretty angry at her for how she treated me before we left. I figured that it was best to keep it to myself. I know they all really care for me but I can only hear so many times that I am making a mistake, before I want to tell them all to go to hell. I didn't want Esme to worry and Alice to call a million times per day. I needed my space to take time to figure out what was happening with Tanya. It didn't matter what everyone else felt, I needed to know what I felt and make my own decision. That is the hard part of living with people who have such strong personalities. Sometimes you get sucked into them and before you know it you are living the life they want and not your own. You know?" Edward explained. I felt bad for judging him and his relationship with Tanya.

"Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. How did it go with Tanya?" I was going to try to be a little more understanding for him.

"Terrible, exactly like they said it would. She was everything they said and more. That is another reason that I couldn't come home. I needed to get over her and what she did by myself. If they didn't know that she was there they certainly couldn't know that she had hurt me again. So I stayed until I was sure I could come home and be normal without their pity and questions. I came when I was strong enough, so to speak. Please, Bella, can you keep that between us?" I could see now where the sadness came from. Just talking about her caused his eyes to darken to a deep jade and worry to seep across his face.

"Of course, Edward. What do you take me for? I would never rat you out like that." I tried to sound playful with him to lighten the mood.

"I know, Bella. It just makes me a little paranoid to think that this might get out."

"Well sunshine put on a happy face because we are here and I can listen if you ever want to talk, ok?"

"I know Bella, thanks. You're kind of cool, you know?"

"Cram it up your cram hole Lafleur!"

We both gave in to the fits of laughter that the great movie line I quoted deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment