Monday, February 2, 2009

ARLTY- Chapter 43

I left the group behind and made my way toward the gate that would take me to my Bella.

The plane ride was as boring as hell but I'm sure that is because I knew that Bella was my destination. And really, why the hell did I have to fly to New fucking York to get to Jacksonville? What were they thinking? I guess that is what I get for waiting until the last minute to book my flight, I had to take what I could get!

The whole trip I listened to all of Bella's favorite songs on my iPod. Something as simple as that made me feel closer to her. I could close my eyes and see her singing along with me at our little section of the beach while I played by the firelight. My arms ached to hold her, just a few more hours and I would be there with her.

Phil looked exactly like he did on TV. I introduced myself and shook his hand. We talked a little on the way out of the airport. Several times he got stopped by people that asked for his autograph. The fans would commend him on last night's game. I could kick myself for not at least googling that game so we could talk about it. I worried that conversation would be awkward between us as we made our way towards the house.

Turns out I was wrong. Phil was a huge music fan and also wanted to learn to surf, so we had plenty to talk about. He gave me the ins and outs for minor league baseball and I gave him the low down on surfing.

By the time we pulled into the driveway I had promised him that if he joined us in California next summer I would teach him. He took me up on it and shook on it. Before I could continue any further conversation Bella emerged from the front door and squealed like a child on Christmas morning. Her mother, Renee waited at the front door. She stood propped against her metal crutches, her leg still in a huge cast as well as her arm.

I caught Bella as her body met mine with great force. It was all I could do to keep us both upright, I wouldn't have minded either way. Just as long as she kept her slight frame pressed against me, I didn't care if we stood, laid or just plain floated above the ground.

Phil and Renee moved inside the house and left us alone to get acquainted again. After several totally inappropriate for the front yard kisses we collected ourselves and moved inside for the introductions. I couldn't wait to meet Renee. Bella had told me so much about her that I felt like I knew her already. She was fun, carefree, easy going and completely relaxed person. Even with the unexpected intrusion of these injuries in her life she was still rolling with the flow, according to Bella.

It seemed the time away from each other had made the heart grow fonder for Bella and her mom. When Bella moved to Forks as a junior in high school, they had the normal teenager-parent breakdown in communication stage going on for them. Now I think Bella is happy to be here and able to spend some time with her mom, even if it is because she has to take care of her.

Bella introduced me to Renee and I shook her hand, then gave it a small kiss. Cheesy, I know, but I wanted to make a good first impression. One thing I have learned from Bella and all of our time on the phone is that her parents are very important to her. I needed to make a good impression on them.

The evening was spent on the patio. The mood was light and Bella was so flirty and funny. Our hands maintained constant contact with each other. Several times she stopped to sit on my lap as she carried food in or out of the house. Phil and Bella did all of the work so Renee and I could have a chance to talk with each other. Several times I tried to get up and help but Bella shooed me back to the table with her mom.

After dinner, Renee talked me into a little show for them. I sat with my guitar in my lap as twilight descended upon us. I sang a few of Renee's favorite songs, thankfully her and my mom share an affliction for Fleetwood Mac; learning those songs for my mom when I was younger certainly paid off with Renee.

Bella and Phil moved again to clean the kitchen. Renee took my hand as I rose to help out; I dropped back into my seat and prepared for a talk with her. Her smile told me that this would go easily but it still made me nervous as hell.

"Edward, I have never seen Bella this happy. I hope that doesn't scare you for me to say that, but it is the truth. And I'm not saying that this has to be the last relationship that she is ever in but just make sure that you don't ever intentionally hurt her, okay? She's a good girl." Renee's eyes radiated happiness for her daughter and I, and the relationship that we have found.

"Renee, if I have any say about it…this will be the last relationship that she is ever in. I love her. I know that we haven't even been together that long but I know now that I can't be without her. So as terrible as this sounds, I think this distance has been the best thing for us." Renee squeezed my hand. The funny thing was, I had no idea when she even grabbed the damn thing. "I think it gave us the space to slow down and learn about each other, it kept us from charging forward without a clear head. Does that even make sense?" Renee shook her head at me to show her understanding.

Just as Phil and Bella emerged from the house again; Renee spoke, "Come on, Phil, help your helpless wife to bed, she's tired." Phil moved around the table and picked her up in his arms. Renee grabbed the crutches and the moved towards the door. "Night both of you, sweet dreams."

No comments:

Post a Comment