Monday, February 2, 2009

ARLTY-Chapter 40

I boarded the flight, flew across the country and landed without a single recollection of any of it. I flipped through my camera and looked at pictures of all of us. I played the videos and smiled when I saw Edward's face. I cried off and on through-out the trip.

I'm sure to the outsider I looked like a selfish bitch, here I sat crying because I had to leave my boyfriend after I got to spend half of my summer in his arms. I made a ridiculous amount of money, lived on the beach and had lots of great sex. I should be grateful that my mom was okay and that I would see Edward again soon.

I needed to remember that all was not lost, he loved me and I loved him. I owed it to my mom to at least be there for her, not show up all mopey about the fact that I left my boyfriend. She would already feel like a burden and therefore if I showed up this way it would be so much worse. She would send me home before she would actually be ready and that would hurt her more. So I owed it to her to shape up and at least make the most of my time here. I could talk with Edward right? I could text him, email him, skype and all the other things that modern technology afforded me. He wanted me still and I wanted him, so I would be fine. I would make the most of it and be happy that my mom wasn't hurt any worse than she was. I could have lost her and then where would I be?

I stepped off of the plane and turned my phone on immediately. I called Charlie first because that would be a quicker phone call. "Hey dad, it's me, I'm here." I told him when he answered in his usual just the facts ma'am tone of voice that being a police officer had honed into him after all of these years.

"Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad you're safe. Tell your mom and Phil hi for me, okay?" I could hear the noise of the station in the background and heard the papers that he shuffled in his hands as he spoke to me. I decided to let him go, the truth was he would call a halt to our conversation soon anyway, he always did. He never was one for long drawn out talks. With him you say what you need to say and hang up. I had said it so I would hang up now.

"I will, dad, I'll call you soon, love you."

"Love you, too." His end disconnected before mine did and that was fine with me, I had a call to make to Edward. I dialed as I waited for my luggage to appear on the carousel. Edward answered after only a partial ring.

"Hey, sweet girl, you there?" His voice did all sorts of things to my body, none of which I wanted to happen when I was in a public airport and about to come face to face with my stepfather.

"Yeah, I just got off of the plane, my luggage should be along any time." I sounded winded on the phone and I'm sure it was because of the way everything about Edward got to me. I turned into a Southern Belle that sipped tea and needed a fainting couch for her attack of the vapors. I hoped it came off way sexier to Edward than it sounded in my own ears.

"I'm so glad that you got there safe. I love you." His voice sounded winded now too.

I wanted to say so much more but I was afraid to do it in public. I would hold that in until it was just Edward and I so I could tell him what he does to me. Instead I said the first thing that came to mind, "My luggage is here now." I grabbed it and pulled it to the ground beside me. I could see Phil as he paced back and forth close to the front door.

"Okay, can you call me later? Whenever you want." He sounded needy and desperate. I loved that he was at least as affected by this as I was.

"Sure, I'm not sure that I could go without it." I chuckled at my own embarrassing admission.

"God, I love you so much."

"I love you, too."

We hung up and I made my way to Phil. He looked older but I guess that is what life will do to you when your wife almost died in an accident. Suddenly I was so ready to see my mom and make sure for myself that she was okay like everyone said she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment