Wednesday, September 16, 2009

ARLTY-Chapter 19

Chapter 19-Edward

Bella and I sat in silence, both content to be there with each other in the dark with only the lights from the French Doors to light our faces for each other.

Her hair was so pretty all tangled around her face after her nap. Her lips were slightly swollen and so kissable. I wanted to apologize and pull her into my lap to snuggle with her. I had no way to explain how important she had become to me in the few short days we were together. I had never felt this comfortable with anyone, much less a girl. I found myself wanting to tell her things, to talk about the music, books and movies that interested me. I wanted to share my deep dark secrets with her, to open up and let her in completely.

I had to know what I had done to make her so angry with me to the point where she shut me out. The quiet evening was almost more than my nerves could take. Yet at the same time I was too afraid to break the almost peaceful bubble that we had going. She stared out at the lights of the city and I stared at her.

"We have a house that Jasper and Emmett called about today. We have to go and look at it tomorrow." I offered to the silent room. She didn't turn to acknowledge me but her eyes stopped scanning for a second or so, so I know she heard me. "Emmett and Jasper have asked Alice and Rosalie to stay with us this summer." I left that hanging in the air to see if she would have any response to that offer.

Several sips and quite a few minutes later I sat the glass down on the floor beside the chair I sat in and moved towards Bella. "I want you to stay with us as well. With me, I want us to spend the summer together, please." Her hand covered mine where it rested on her thigh. "Please tell me what I've done so I can fix it. I can't go any longer without hearing your voice, please." I begged as I saw no other option.

She turned and looked me full in the face. I saw the tracks of old tears and the glistening of fresh ones in the corners of her eyes. "There are so many others out there for you." She said simply. I was stunned to say the least. I guess she really hadn't changed that much after all.

"I don't want anyone else. I want you. You make me happy, you get me, you listen to the same things I do, you watch the same movies I do, you." I began to rub small circles on her thigh against her bare skin.

She said the one word that broke my heart, because it showed me how little she thought of herself. "Why?"

"Because you're perfect for me, because of all of the reasons I just listed. Because of the way you take care of those around you, the way you laugh at everyone's jokes even if they aren't funny, because you feel things so deep in your heart and you love life around you. So many big and small reasons that I can't even think of right now."

A small tear escaped her eye and I was sure that I said the wrong thing, that I had pushed her away. But it all changed when she smiled, touched my face and said, "Okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment