Sunday, November 8, 2009

Chapter 13- Trip to the ER

Chapter 13-Trip to the ER

Bella

Sometime later I woke up in my bed; a sandwich was placed on the nightstand along with a bottle of water. I sat up and opened it. The bottle of water was easy to drink but I had to force myself to eat the sandwich. I knew I needed it as much as the baby. I reached into the nightstand drawer and took a pill; I figured that as long as I take them as directed and only as I need them, I would be okay. I lay back down and waited for sleep to come back to me. Hopefully, when I woke up Edward would be here for me. I drifted off waiting for him. I just needed to hold it together until I could see Edward.

I woke up somewhere around three in the morning. The house was silent and I couldn’t stand it. The silence seemed to echo the finality of my loss, it left too much room in my head for my thoughts, and the last thing I wanted right now was my thoughts. The emotions were creeping up in my mind and trying to take hold there. I left my room and went down into the kitchen, needing a distraction from my own thoughts. I made myself another sandwich, ate it in about four bites, and washed it down with another bottle of water.

I wondered where Edward was, and if he had arrived in Forks yet. I slept all day so I didn’t know when he left or if he was even able to leave yet. I paced back and forth for a few minutes. I ran back up to my room and grabbed my phone. I heard Charlie snoring as I came back down the stairs, he was probably exhausted.

I decided on a text in case he was trying to sleep.

E

I slept all day, sorry, I don’t know where u r! When will u be in Forks?

B

I waited but no text or call came back. I was still left wondering. I couldn’t just stand, sit or lay in this house any longer. I needed some air, and to stretch my legs.

I saw Charlie’s keys for his little blue pickup truck. I decided to take a drive. I would drive out to the Cullen’s house see if Edward was home yet and then drive back, that was a forty minute round trip. That would be enough time to calm my nerves. I grabbed the keys and left Charlie a note so if he woke up he wouldn’t worry.

The night air felt good on my skin. I rolled the window down and then opened my hoodie. Letting the air wash over as much of my body as it could. My heart’s steady rhythm slowly picked up the closer I got to the turn off to go to the Cullen’s house. One more mile and I would be there.

Maybe Edward had got in on the red eye and went home to sleep first. Maybe he would be there, and I could see him in a few minutes.

My heart began racing.

I could see the other car’s headlight, but they were on their side of the road, so I didn’t pay them any attention. That is until they swerved into my lane. I tried to swerve to get out of their way, but I didn’t have enough time. Our cars collided; theirs hit my driver’s side right at the back wheel. I knew I was fine, but I did feel a slight pain in my neck, shoulders and back of my head.

Charlie was going to be so mad at me.

I heard someone approach the open driver’s window and ask a few questions. I had to close my eyes just to focus on them enough to hear what they asked.

“Yeah, I uh… I think I’m okay. Are you?” I responded with a shaky voice that belied my answer.

“I’m going to call 911 for you, your head is bleeding. Just sit still, don’t move okay?”

“Okay.” That was all I could get out, before the room started to spin. I wasn’t sure if it was the mention of blood or some other problem. I have been known to swoon at the mention of blood, but the headache caused me to lean towards some other problem this time. I laid my head back on the headrest. I closed my eyes and thought about Edward again.

I felt someone press something against my left temple. I guess that’s where the blood originated; I sat quietly and waited to hear the sirens.

My eyes remained closed until I heard the paramedics arrive. They quickly put me on a stretcher and into the ambulance. I managed to call for them to get my purse, and cell phone. I needed the cell phone in case Edward called, or Charlie.

I heard one of the EMT’s shout out something about Charlie’s truck. He turned to me and stated talking.

“Can you repeat that slowly, I’m having a hard time concentrating?” I asked and my voice sounded strange.

He asked one more time slowly, “Are you Chief Swan’s daughter?”

“Yes.” I punctuated this answer with a quick head nod that caused my headache to begin pounding again.

“Okay, hold on and we’ll have you in the ER in no time. Do we need to call the Chief for you?”

“Yes, call him at home please, he was sleeping when I left, he doesn’t know I’m gone.” The simple task of answering the questions was zapping my strength right out of me.

“Are you in any pain?”

“Slightly, only in the back of my head, down my neck and left shoulder. What about the other driver, are they okay?”

“They’re fine, they had side air bags. We’re almost there.”

I heard one of the EMT’s call out ‘we’re here’, and they slide me out of the ambulance. I looked up and saw Carlisle’s face.

“Why did you drive me to the Cullen’s house?” I asked very confused.

Carlisle snickered, “Bella, you’re at the ER, I’m on duty here. Can you tell me what happened?”

“I was driving to your house, and I saw a car it was fine until the last minute. Then they swerved and hit Charlie’s truck on the driver’s side. I think I blacked out, the next thing I knew they were at the window asking if I was okay. I don’t know how long I was out.” I shook my head, I was feeling dazed and afraid of what the accident could expose.

“Okay, they said you were in some pain, can you tell me where you’re having the pain.” Carlisle’s soothing voice taking over and calming my nerves.

“Yeah, my head hurts, my neck and left shoulder hurts also. Do my words sound slurred to you?” I blinked several times to try to bring Carlisle’s face back into focus.

“Yes they do, I think you may have a mild concussion. I’ll send you up to x-ray and we’ll see if everything is in place in that head of yours, okay?”

“No, you can’t do that!” Alarm took over my brain. I knew this was the moment where things went to hell in a hand basket.

“Bella, you need an x-ray. I have to make sure you don’t have any serious injuries that will require immediate attention. It’ll be fine, don’t worry, it won’t hurt. You’ve had plenty of x-rays remember?” Carlisle coaxed.

“Yes, I remember, but you can’t x-ray me now, I can’t have it done now, don’t ask me why, I just can’t.” I stammered, hoping he would let it go and not ask why.

“Bella, please calm down. You’re acting a little irrational. Do you understanding what I’m telling you?” He flashed his little pen light across my eyes again and began to feel around on the back of my head. I winced when he rubbed his fingers across a large knot on the back of my head.

“Yes, Carlisle, I understand. Are you my Doctor?” Confusion took over his face when I asked him the last question.

“Yes Bella, I’m your Doctor. Why?” He removed his hands from the back of my head and paused with them resting on my shoulders.

“Well, if you’re my Doctor and you find out something about me, as my Doctor you wouldn’t be able to tell any members of your family would you?”

His back straightened slightly at this unusual question. His face was no longer unreadable, now it was full of questions.

“No Bella, I wouldn’t. Of course, that’s beside the point, I wouldn’t tell them anything that you didn’t want me to anyway, even without the oath. I wouldn’t do that to you.” His hand drifted to rest over mine; trying to offer his support for whatever would cause me to launch this line of questions.

“Carlisle I’m pregnant and I can’t be x-rayed.” I quickly averted my eyes, I was afraid to see the pain or disappointment on his face.

“Bella, how far along are you?” His face revealed his shock, but only for a second before he pulled his usual calm demeanor back in place.

“I’m due on February 18th, I’m about 23 weeks.” I bit down on my bottom lip, afraid that he would be able to do the math and draw the obvious conclusion. “Okay, when was your last OB visit?” Relief flooded through me when he skipped the question that I expected from him.

“I saw the OB a couple of weeks before I got here in Forks; I called them when I found out about Renee and Phil. They gave me the sedative to fly. He gave me 30 of them, to get me through the whole thing. I haven’t taken one since about ten tonight, or I guess last night.” I glanced at the clock over Carlisle’s shoulder realizing that it was now after five in the morning. “I promise, I didn’t do this, they hit me.”

“Bella, I know they said they swerved to miss a deer and hit you. I’m only concerned about any injuries to the baby. Did your OB say everything was okay with the baby on your last visit?”

“Yes, they said the baby was normal weight and height, and I had gained about 8 pounds. They’ve done so many tests that I’ve lost count, and they are all normal, so I guess everything is fine. Can I have something for a headache?” I raised my hands to block the extremely bright fluorescent light from my eyes.

“No, not until we decided what’s causing the headache. I’m sorry. Bella your secret is safe with me, I only have one question. Is it Edward’s baby?”

Fuck there’s the question. The one I’m not prepared to answer.

I bit my lip; I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t want Edward back because of sympathy, and I didn’t want to give Esme any more reason to hate me for ruining Edward’s life. Not only by getting back together but now by bringing a baby into the situation. I saw how well lying went over with Charlie, so I decided to tell the truth this time, well my truth as I knew it right now.

“Yes. But please understand that I need more time. I just can’t handle dealing with this right now. There is too much on my plate right now. Seriously it is all I can do to make it through the day in one piece and try my best not to stress too much for fear of what it is doing to the baby. I promise I will tell him. I just can’t yet. Give me time to make all this right in my head and decide what I want to do before I go to Edward. Please.”

My heart ached knowing Carlisle would have to hold in this secret just like I was but it was the only way. I could not deal with one more thing right now and it was unfair to just lay this all in Edward’s lap when I was emotionally unable to talk this out and make a decision with him on what to do. I hope Carlisle understood that deep down inside I wanted to shout to the world that I was pregnant with Edward’s baby. Call him and let him come and take care of us both. That’s what my heart wanted, but it was the one thing my head knew that I couldn’t have. He would come and help me through Renee and Phil’s deaths, and after that we would deal with our issues. I would take whatever anger and hurt that Edward would feel at that time, but not before then. I was just too afraid that I was emotionally not ready yet for the fall out.

“Not from me Bella, like you said I couldn’t tell him, confidentiality reasons. Now, let me get you into a collar and some tests done so we’ll know what’s wrong with you. Has anyone called Charlie yet?” Concern laced Carlisle’s voice as he asked me about my father.

“I don’t know, one of the EMTs recognized his truck and asked me if I was his daughter, but I don’t know if they called.” I was having a hard time making out all of the things that happened, everything seemed to be very hazy after the accident.

“I’ll get you into Radiology and give him a call, okay?” His gentle nature and compassionate care was making it harder and harder to go through with asking him to keep something of this magnitude to himself. So I simply nodded at him.

He quietly left my room. A few minutes later, a fresh faced, too fresh for almost five in the morning, nurse came and told me we were heading up to Radiology.

“You must be important, Dr. Cullen said to get you there fast and make sure you get finished up fast. He usually isn’t demanding like that.” She smiled and nodded at me.

“I’m a friend of the family, I guess that’s why.” I fingered the warm fuzzy blanket in between my fingers as I explained to the nurse. It was a habit that I developed as a small child when I slept with my soft fuzzy blankets each night.

“Well, whatever it is, he’s making sure you get the star treatment.” She patted my shoulder as she kicked the brakes off on the bed and began to roll me down the hall towards Radiology.

“Thanks,” I murmured.

She made sure I got my tests quickly and was back in my room, just as quick. I only felt like lying there on the bed with my eyes closed. I couldn’t sleep because the headache was too much, so I just laid still, that seemed to help. I heard the door open and felt someone come into the room. I didn’t move, I just assumed it was one of the many nurses Carlisle had sent in to check on me. If they needed something from me they would ask, until then I would lie still. I felt someone take my hand. I slowly turned my head towards that side, and winced when the pain stabbed up and down my spine. I opened my eyes and I was looking right into Edward’s beautiful green eyes. He smiled and I tried to return it.

“Bella, did you really need more drama today?” He teased. I felt overwhelmed with him so near. My heart hurt for him. I wanted to take him in my arms and come clean about everything, I wanted him to know about the baby and know that no matter what I wanted him with me. I only let him go so that he could achieve all of his dreams. I did it for him, no matter how much pain it cost me.

I tried for light and funny, I don’t know if I succeeded.

“You know me, it has been what, over 6 months since I was in the ER; they were probably going bankrupt without my support. This time however, I must say it was someone else’s fault.” I tried again to smile at him, it didn’t feel like I was getting it right, so I quit.

He leaned down and kissed my forehead, and sighed.

“Bella, do you know how scared I was for you? I almost killed Esme and Alice getting here. I’m sure I drove about twice the legal speed limit, what were you doing out at this time of night?” His skin was pale and he had large purple bruises under each of his beautiful eyes. He was taking this harder than he let on over the phone.

“I slept most of the day and when I woke up I couldn’t sleep anymore. It was three in the morning, I couldn’t sit in that house at three in the morning with no one to talk to, I would have gone crazy. I tried texting you and you didn’t answer, so I decided to drive out to your house and back. I was almost at your turn when the other car swerved to miss a deer and hit Charlie’s truck. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare anyone; I just wanted something to do.” I rushed through my explanation as the tears were falling from my eyes, running down my face, and dripping onto my hospital gown. The pain in my head mixed with the emotions of the last few days, and they both pushed me past the point of caring if now was the right time to cry. Edward was here now and I knew he would allow me the time to cry this emotion out.

He lowered himself close to me when he saw the tears and murmured to me, “Bella, don’t apologize, I was just worried about you. You scared the hell out of me that is for sure. But I’m glad to be here with you. I couldn’t take being so far away from you. Thank you for asking me to come here for you.” He kissed my temple before he continued his explanation to me, “I didn’t want to come on my own and scare you, but I was so close to getting on a plane all by myself.” He held me close and allowed me to calm down. “How are you, are you feeling okay, about your Mom, I mean?”

“Yeah, I think, it comes and goes, almost like shock. I can forget and push it back for a little while, and then it floods my brain again. I’m sure that will come when this ER “high” wears off.” I sniffed his familiar scent in through my nose and held in inside of me. I felt like I was holding him closer when a small part of him was consuming me in that way.

“Can I do anything for you?” He pulled away and tried to look down at me. I snuggled back into his chest again as I asked for his help.

“Will you just stay with me?” I asked selfishly. I saw his smile out of the corner of my eye as he leaned down again and kissed the top of my head.

“Whatever you want angel.”

After a few minutes of silence, I asked about his flight.

“It was good, Alice is here with me, she couldn’t stand it anymore either, so we flew in together. The hospital would only allow one of us back here at a time. I’m sure she is beside herself; I should go and get her so she can come back and see you. Is that okay?” I nodded at him. “I’ll be back shortly, I promise.” He leaned down and kissed my head, and left the room.

Alice came skipping into the room, and sat on the edge of the bed with me. She kissed my forehead, and began crying. I pulled her down into the bed beside me and we wrapped both of our arms around each other and just cried together. I let the tears pull the anger and hurt out of my body. I allowed them to wash away the sadness, the hopelessness, the fear. I cried for my mom, and Phil. I cried for how things turned out between Edward and myself. I cried at my stupidity and the crazy situation that we were in.

I wanted to be anywhere else but here right now, but I had to deal with the fact that my Mother was dead, she was gone. I would never have her with me, and she will never get to see her first grandchild, or hold it. She will not be able to sit up at night while I feed it and talk with me, no motherly advice. All three of us were robbed and I was angry about it.

Carlisle came back into my room with Esme, Edward and Charlie. He opened my chart, and I became nervous. I know he said he couldn’t say anything legally, but what was to stop him. This did affect his son, so it was easy to see that his family loyalty might win over his oath to his patient?

“Bella how’s your head feeling, any better?” He asked.

“Yes, it’s a little better.” I murmured, afraid of what this visit would mean to me.

I meet Charlie’s eyes and watched as they shifted nervously from Carlisle to Edward and back.

Carlisle oblivious to Charlie’s discomfort began speaking, “Okay, time for an exam, everyone out so I can do my job.” He turned and motioned to all four of them to leave. “We see headaches a lot from accident victims, your brain is traveling along at 55 mph, and then it stops suddenly. That causes the headache, once the brain sort of reboots itself the headache goes away. Glad to hear yours is clearing up.” Carlisle began to write in my chart as he spoke.

Edward squeezed my hand and then turned to leave the room, followed by the rest, as I called Charlie back in.

“You can stay Dad that is if Carlisle isn’t going to do any examining of parts you can’t see.” Charlie turned back to me and walked over to the bed side.

“No, it was just an excuse.” Carlisle smiled sheepishly.

“Bella, your tests are all clear, no signs of any injuries, let’s listen to your stomach to make sure everything is okay there?” Carlisle turned to lay the chart on the bedside table and turned back to me. He pulled a small device out of his coat pocket.

“Carlisle, Dad knows.”

“Oh, okay, well in that case, I would like to listen to the baby’s heartbeat, and do a quick ultrasound, just to be safe. I don’t suspect anything is wrong, but since I have you here, it doesn’t hurt to check. First let’s do the heartbeat, Bella pull your blanket down all the way to your pelvic bone, and then pull the gown up just exposing your stomach. That’s perfect; now let’s see what we can hear.”

He put the little device to my stomach, and then we could hear the woosh, woosh, woosh, woosh of my little angel’s heartbeat. It was one of the most perfect sounds I have ever heard. It killed me to hear this and know Edward was only about twenty feet from this door and not be able to call him in to share this with me.

Carlisle cleared his throat, and then he said “That sounds wonderful, nice and strong, Bella. Do you know what you’re having?”

“No, I’ve decided not to find out, I didn’t care either way, I love it no matter what sex it is.” I smiled a sheepish grin, I realized this sounds like a thing only a new mom would say, but it was true.

“Okay, let’s do an ultrasound. Have you had an ultrasound before?” Carlisle asked as he made some notations in my chart.

“No, I saw the OB a few weeks ago and I was scheduled to have one in a few days but had to cancel so I could come home.”

“Well that’s good, it sounds like you will have yours a couple of days early then. It has been a long time since I have done one of these, so the OB will be in a few minutes to look in on us and double check.” Carlisle turned to Charlie. “Charlie would you stick your head out in the hall and tell the others to wait in my office, so they won’t see Dr. Adams come in, Edward and Alice both have met her. They’ll know something is up if they see her. If you want to stay you can, if not you’re more than welcome to join them in my office, it’s your choice.”

Charlie looked at me, and I shrugged my shoulders.

Charlie asked Carlisle “Are you really just being cautious?”

“Of course, if I suspected anything I would tell you both. I don’t operate that way, I believe in honesty. I would certainly be honest with you and Bella. I promise, just a precaution.” Carlisle turned back towards the ultrasound machine and began to type some info into it, leaving Charlie and I to decide what we wanted to do.

“In that case I’ll go with the others. I don’t want things to look suspicious because in a normal case; I wouldn’t stay with Bella while she is being examined, so to keep up appearances, I’ll go. I have my cell if something is wrong call me, and I’ll be right back down.” Charlie said the last part to me, and I nodded. My mouth was suddenly dry at the thought of something else going wrong today. I knew that I could not handle any more excitement; it would put me over the edge for sure.

“Sounds good, I’ll be done in a few minutes, as long as this checks out okay, Bella can get dressed and get ready to go home. I’ll come and get all of you in my office when I’m finished.”

Charlie nodded and walked out of the room, leaving Carlisle and I in silence.

Carlisle and Dr. Adams both completed the ultrasound, and everything was perfect. Nothing out of the ordinary was seen by either. They printed me a few pictures and left for me to get dressed.

I turned my body and slipped off of the bed. I dressed quickly, I was ready to get home and spend time with Edward.

Edward came in as I was pulling his hoodie on and zipping it up.

He raised his eyebrow at me, and I just shrugged.

“I guess it is sort of like a security blanket. Hey you, how long are you here for?” I walked over and hugged him as I was finishing my sentence.

He wrapped his arms around me; I turned sideways in his arms, so he wouldn’t feel my stomach sticking out. I couldn’t feel his arms on my stomach, so I assumed he couldn’t feel my stomach either.

“I explained what was going on, and my Professors agreed to let me come home two weeks early, so I’m here until January 3rd. I have class starting on January 4th and I’ll need to be back by then. Is your headache any better?”

“Yes, much better, when Carlisle found out there was no injuries he allowed me to have some Tylenol, so that has helped so much. I would however, kill for some food I slept through dinner. You know any place open at this time of the morning?”

“Let’s see who else wants something to eat and we can head to Port Angels there’s a place there that’s open 24 hours a day.”

“Deal.” I sat abruptly in the chair as I thought of the time that Renee and I went on a cross country trip over the summer. When we stopped to eat Renee would only let us pick the old diners. She said they would have the best food. I began to cry, just thinking of her sweet face as she sat in the booth laughing at all of the locals. Before I knew it loud sobs and wails were escaping from me. Edward charged back over to my side and held me as I cried.

It took a while but I eventually settled down and my crying stopped. When I had everything under control we made our way down to Carlisle’s office and found all the rest of the family talking.

“Is anyone else hungry? Bella here slept through dinner and now she is starving. We’re going to head into Port Angeles to eat at that 24 hour diner, who else wants to come with us?” Edward scanned the group as he extended the invitation.

‘’I have to stop by the Station, so I’ll go but I’ll take the cruiser so I can make a pit stop later.” Charlie offered.

“I’m officially off duty, Bella was my last patient, so a little greasy diner food sounds good, what about you two girls, you up for diner food?” Carlisle asked Alice and Esme. I chuckled at the thought of Esme eating a big greasy cheeseburger and fries.

“Do they have salad on menu with the greasy food at this diner?” Esme asked.

“A salad for breakfast?” I knew deep down she wanted to eat the fattening, greasy food, just like the rest of us.

“Oh yeah, I can order breakfast, well sure we’re game.” Esme threw her arm around Alice’s shoulders and they both nodded.

We all headed off to the diner, Charlie in the cruiser; Esme, Carlisle, and Alice in Carlisle’s Mercedes; Edward and I in his Volvo. Alice gave the excuse that she wanted to discuss an assignment with Esme, get her opinion on her color and pattern combinations, but I knew better, she wanted Edward and I to have some alone time.

As we pulled out of the parking lot, Edward looked over at me, and smiled a big goofy grin that took up his whole face. I couldn’t resist, I had to ask.

“What’s that smile for?”

“I just can’t believe we’re here together, going to get breakfast at the diner. This is so far from where I thought I would be if you had asked me a week ago. I just find it funny, the complete about face we’ve made.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now if anyone is interested in an Edward outtake on his point of view for this chapter head on over to fanfiction and add a review to my story and if I get 20 reviews then I will post the outtake.

No comments:

Post a Comment