Thursday, July 16, 2009


Epilogue

Edward's POV

"Honey, are Peter and Maria here yet?" Bella bellowed down from upstairs. It's a good thing Ethan was a sound sleeper.

"No, honey, you got about a half an hour before they are due here." I bellowed back. What was good for the goose was good for the gander.

"Good, I'm going to take a shower then. Will you turn on the monitor?"

"Okay."

A few minutes later I heard the water running and 99.9% of me wanted to go and jump in with her and to hell with what that doctor said. But the other part of me wanted her to just enjoy a hot shower by herself and pushes my selfish thoughts down the stairs. I couldn't believe how much happiness our beautiful baby boy, Ethan, has brought to us. We were both totally sleep deprived and probably smelled like baby shit, but we didn't care. We were totally happy with where we were.

I just hoped the new us doesn't scare the shit out of Peter and Maria when they visited us today.

Peter and Maria brought us dinner as well as a few baby gifts, so they sat to eat with us while Ethan was still napping. Like the perfect son he is, he woke up as soon as his momma was done eating. Bella and Maria go up to tend to him since Bella breastfeeds him most of the time. Bella claimed they go upstairs so she can change him too, but I know it was really so Bella could use her rocking chair to feed Ethan. She loved that thing.

Peter was dying to hold him, I could see it in his eyes, but he does good at holding it in.

"Don't worry, man. He's a boy, even if he's a small one. He will get changed, fed and be ready to play here shortly. I promise you will have plenty of time to hold him as soon as he's fed. Let me show you the new pool table my brother sent over for the game room." I took Peter down to the basement to keep him busy 'til Ethan was ready to go. Otherwise, I was worried he would interrupt the feeding. I hoped Maria was ready for kids, because I think Peter had caught the bug!

I showed Peter around, but I could tell he was just not interested in anything I had to say so I just stop talking. I figured he would talk when he was ready.

"Has Ethan changed your lives at all?" He finally spoke.

"Hell yeah, he has." Peter's eyes almost water up at my simple response. I wanted to laugh at him, but the sadness in his eyes kept me from doing so. I rushed forward with the rest of my statement. "He has changed it for the better. I can't imagine life without him now. In the few short weeks since he was born, my life is beyond happy. The moment you look at the tiny face you created, everything changes but for the better. Your heart expands and you love them more than anything else on the face of the planet. They are your world." I almost laughed at myself as I spoke, but Peter's sappy face kept me straight. As cheesy as it may sound, it was exactly what Peter needed to hear.

"I want it, Edward, so bad, but I don't think Maria does. At least our last talk she didn't."

"Hey, talk to her again. Things have a way of changing without you knowing it. Give her a chance, talk it out with her. It'll work out, I just know it."

Bella's POV

Ethan was all changed and had settled down to nurse as Maria fidgeted beside me. She just beamed when she looked at Ethan, but I could tell something was wrong with her. Something was on her mind.

"You might as well just spill it. I already know it is about to bust out anyway, so go ahead." I tease her, hoping to take away some of the stress of whatever she had to say.

"I'm afraid to tell Peter something. I don't know how to tell him." Maria twisted and wrung her hands in her lap as she spoke. She was so scared that it started to worry me as well.

"Whatever it is, I'm sure he'll be fine. He loves you and will manage, just trust him, Maria." I offered.

"I'm pregnant!" Maria's mouth opened up and her words flew right out. "We always said we didn't want kids. I was past the point of that ticking clock so we decided not to have any. This is a big shock, a huge change, will he like this? What if he wasn't kidding, Bella?" She almost cried as she spoke to me.

"Well, all you can do is tell him, and if he leaves, then I will have Emmett hunt his ass down, and we will kill him ourselves and bury the body." I joked because I was not sure exactly what else to say to her. It was a big change, but I know Peter loves her enough to cope with it. She just needed to trust him. I adjusted Ethan and burp him as we spoke. He was all ready to meet his public.

Maria carried him down the stairs and I watched Peter's face as he watched his wife carry this new life towards him. I think Maria's worries were totally unfounded. Maria laid a happy, satisfied Ethan in Peter's arms and I knew without a doubt they would be just as happy as we were with our family.

Funny how life changed, without you even knowing it!

~*~The End~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment